The identity of a man defines him and determines the extent of his operation on earth. People who have come to discover who they are in Christ never struggle through life because their discovery made them live as kings on earth. Sickness, diseases and death has no power over them, because they have an understanding of the authority that lies within. It’s very important for us as believers to have an understanding of who we are in Christ, because our knowledge of this fact is what makes us operate at a higher level. The Identity of a Believer begins at the cross where he met Christ and that gives him access to all that Christ has. Our focus today is to bring you to that understanding, so that there can be a change in your mindset about who you truly are in Christ and how you are to live on earth. Prayerfully read this through.
- YOU ARE THE REDEEMED OF THE LORD: Revelation 5:9 (KJV) And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation.
Christ has redeemed us unto God through His blood and that is why we are called the redeemed of the Lord. The blood of animals used under the law couldn’t wash away the sins of men but instead it covered the sins. And anytime men sinned under the old law, there was a need for another covering and that made the law imperfect because it couldn’t present man to God as righteous. But the blood of Jesus washed away our sins once and for all and through that, we are made justified, sanctified and we are the righteousness of God (2cor 5:21)
I know the silent question in your heart would be “What am I redeemed from? And what did God redeem me into? Let us quickly check these two points out:
- Christ Has Redeemed You from The Curse of Sin: Gal 3:13, He has redeemed you from the curse of the law which is sin and death. The man who sins shall die, this not referring to physical death but a spiritual demise. He redeemed you by becoming a curse, because cursed is he that is hanged on the tree. He was beaten brutally all because of your redemption and what kept him on the cross was His love for you. Though he had the power to deliver Himself and stop the suffering, he decided to endure it all for the redemptive work to be completed. So if you’re still sinning, it is because you’ve not allowed the word of Christ to sink deep within you.
He redeemed you and gave you His Spirit to guide you in all your ways so you will not continue living under the control of the carnal nature. He redeemed you from sin by making you dead to it. Romans 6:2 (KJV) “How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?”
ROM 8:1-2. “There is therefore now no condemnation to them that are in Christ Jesus… because the law of spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made you free from the law of sin and death.”
Perhaps you’re still struggling with sin, I want you to know that you’ve been set free and you need to allow that word find its way to the depth of your spirit man. For you to walk in the reality of this, anytime the temptation to sin comes, proclaim that word again and take your stand by faith. It is expedient for you to change your thoughts, books, movies, friends, magazines etc., anything that might have brought the temptation at that point.
- Christ Has Redeemed You from Sickness and Diseases: “Isaiah 53:5 (KJV) but he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.”
This was a prophecy of what was to come through Christ, and it became a reality when Christ died and resurrected. Apostle Peter confirmed that for us in 1Pet2:24. The truth is you’ve been made whole of all the sickness that will ever come your way in life, the only thing required is for you to walk in the reality of this truth by faith. Does that means you will not fall sick? No. The symptoms of sickness might be visible but you cast them out by walking in the light of what the word says. Sickness has no power over you, disease has no power over you because they had no power over Christ. Therefore walk in the reality and in victory. Until you believe this truth, you’ll find it hard to walk in divine health.
“(2Co 10:5) Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.”
You cast down every imagination of sin, sickness and diseases by bringing to captivity all thoughts in obedience to Christ. Being in obedience to Christ means, subjecting your thoughts to what Christ says. So, since Christ said you’re free, you proclaim that. Since he says you’re healed you proclaim that. There is power in confession (Psalm 107:2).
- YOU ARE A NEW CREATURE: “2 Corinthians 5:17 (TLB) When someone becomes a Christian, he becomes a brand new person inside. He is not the same anymore. A new life has begun.”
A man in Christ is brand new. Someone who has never existed before, a new specie. Therefore his old pattern of life has been written off the slate, and he now has a new slate with an inscription of “Christ in me”. He has been redeemed from the old life and has been given a new one. However, it important we understand how we became a new Creature, the book of Romans and the Epistles of Paul are of great help in understanding this. I’ll advice you personally take time out to study them (Romans, Ephesians, Colossians).
We became new by our:
- Death with Him… 2Tim 2:11… Romans 6:8 (KJV) Now if we be dead with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with him.
- Burial with Him…Rom 6:4… Colossians 2:12 (KJV) Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
- Resurrection with him… Col 2:13, Eph 2:5-6, Rom 6:5. “Colossians 2:13 (KJV) And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses”
- YOU ARE THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD: 1cor 1:30, 2cor 5:21, ROM 5:17
“1 Corinthians 1:30 (KJV) But of him are ye in Christ Jesus, who of God is made unto us wisdom, and righteousness, and sanctification, and redemption.
2 Corinthians 5:21 (KJV) for he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
To be righteous means to have a right standing with God. Righteousness is the nature of God expressed in the life of Christ. Hence anyone who comes to Christ becomes righteous and can stand before God.
If you read 1cor 1:30 studiously, you will discover that Christ was made unto us, not only righteousness. But also, wisdom (wisdom is a person and that is the person of Christ. Therefore a man that has Christ has wisdom and can exhibit it irrespective of his age), Sanctification (we are sanctified, meaning we are consecrated, purified) and redemption (which is what gave us a new life in him. We have been redeemed from the kingdom of darkness and are translated to God’s kingdom. Col 2:15). So in Christ we are made complete (Col 2:10) and can therefore say “we are Christ’s” (1John 4:17).
We are who Christ fully is in our spirit man. However, we can only exhibit all that Christ is by the knowledge we have and by continuous yielding to the Holy Spirit. This nature of God we have received gives us the privilege to approach the throne of grace (Heb 4:16). This couldn’t be so when we were drenched in sin but at the instant we gave our lives to Christ we became Priests and Kings and can therefore go before him.
- YOU ARE A KING AND PRIEST UNTO GOD: “Revelation 1:6 (KJV) and hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever.”
When Jesus was talking with the Samaritan woman in John 4, he said, (let us read it together)
“John 4:21-24 (KJV) Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.”
- The first thing I want us to note is that Jesus operated under the law because he had not given His life and the shedding of a blood is required for a new covenant to come in place (Matt 5:17-20, Hebrew 9-10). However, when he spoke those words, he did that in the hope of the reality which is to come by his death on the cross. So men began to walk in the light of that scripture after Christ died and resurrected.
- Secondly, Christ is the first High Priest to ever operate under this new covenant and he did that when he was on earth (under the Law). He prayed to God and introduced God to us as our father (watch out for a publication on “Jesus introduced God to us as His Father and our Father). He offered himself as a sacrifice for us all making the priesthood work complete. Read Hebrews 6-10 to for better understanding.
“Hebrews 9:11 (TLB) He came as High Priest of this better system that we now have. He went into that greater, perfect tabernacle in heaven, not made by men nor part of this world.”
You are a priest and a king unto God because you belong to Christ and now you can approach the throne of grace by yourself (Heb 4:16). You now operate in accordance to what Jesus told the Samaritan woman, by worshipping God in Spirit and in truth. You can now commune with God as your father and the only sacrifice you can now offer to God is yourself (ROM 12:1-2).
In conclusion, all these becomes a reality in your life when you deliberately take out time to feed and meditate on God’s word. The more you meditate, the more you begin to understand and the understanding will cause you to pray. To become what the word says, READ, MEDITATE AND PRAY. These are the three powerful tools to becoming what God wants you to be.
If there are any question, you can drop them in the comment box below and we will respond as soon as we receive it. God bless you. Amen