“Hebrews 12:14 (KJV) Follow peace with all men, and holiness, without which no man shall see the Lord”
We as children of God are called “saints” because we have an all-encompassing responsibility to live our lives as “sanctified people”. God wants us to live as people set apart for him and his works. In other words, God expects holiness from us in everything we do.
When we talk about Holiness, we refer to two things basically. These are;
1.) Putting sin to death in your life
2.) Becoming increasingly conformed to Jesus Christ (practicing his manner of speech, way of life, his commandments etc.)
We don’t have to think about holiness as if it is what saves us from sin. It is the finished works of Christ that saves us from sin (his work on the cross of Calvary).
We must learn to totally rely on the work of Christ to be accepted by God. We have been saved by grace and not by your works. And yet, Hebrews 12:14 says “……without holiness no man shall see the Lord.” This is to tell us that holiness is very important and no man can see the glory of God without living a life of holiness. This command of holiness doesn’t come alone just like every of his commands, he has provided the grace to achieve it. God’s grace is available for us to live a holy life in the midst of this sin ridden world.
Now let us look at other reasons why holiness is very important;
– Holiness is important because God commands it: “1 Peter 1:15-16 (KJV) But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.”
God is a holy God who dislikes sin. God moves his eyes away when something is impure, because his face cannot behold sin. God commands every Christian to be holy in speech, behaviour and conduct. When others are engaging in unholy behaviours and acts, we should take our stand and say, “I am a child of God”. We should dare to be different.
– Holiness is a way to show that we love Jesus: “John 14:21 (KJV) He that hath my commandments, and keepeth them, he it is that loveth me: and he that loveth me shall be loved of my Father, and I will love him, and will manifest myself to him.”
If we really want to prove that we love Jesus, our lives must show forth fruits of holiness. Moreover, if we make a decision to be holy, God will back us up, and we would grow to become men and women completely immersed in the will of God.
– Holiness is important for our happiness and joy: Those who engage in evil practices and shameful sins are plagued with sadness, sorrow and guilt. When we live a life of holiness, we enjoy its fruit also; joy, happiness and peace. Our lives become one filled with so much love for others and love for God.
– Holiness is important for us to see God: As Hebrews 12:14 says, no unholy person can see God.
You have to answer a question in your heart today, “Do you want to see God?” If your answer is yes, then you must live in holiness. If you want to get to heaven and see God in His glory, you have to live a life of Holiness. It must become a character that is manifested in every aspect of your life. Let everyone see you and say “This one is a man of God” “This one is a woman of God”.
Let us also look at the Benefits of Holiness;
– Holiness builds intimacy with God: God desires holy people. He draws near to those who draw near to him. When we decide to run away completely from sin and live our lives in holiness, God draws us closer to himself.
“James 4:8a (KJV) Draw nigh to God, and he will draw nigh to you.”
– Holiness lets us know the secrets of God: “Deuteronomy 29:29 (KJV) The secret things belong unto the LORD our God: but those things which are revealed belong unto us and to our children for ever, that we may do all the words of this law.”
God reveals hidden things to those who live in holiness before him. See, God can tell us what will happen in the nearest future. He can reveal secrets to us about our own life and the lives of others around us. God doesn’t reveal his secrets to sinners, he doesn’t reveal his secrets to unbelievers. He reveals his secrets to his holy children. Therefore, we should always strive to be holy.
– Holiness gives us Spiritual Strength and Stability:
“Psalms 15:1-5 (KJV) LORD, who shall abide in thy tabernacle? who shall dwell in thy holy hill?
He that walketh uprightly, and worketh righteousness, and speaketh the truth in his heart.
He that backbiteth not with his tongue, nor doeth evil to his neighbour, nor taketh up a reproach against his neighbour.
In whose eyes a vile person is contemned; but he honoureth them that fear the LORD. He that sweareth to his own hurt, and changeth not.
He that putteth not out his money to usury, nor taketh reward against the innocent. He that doeth these things shall never be moved.”
Spiritual strength and stability can only be a product of holiness. When the storms rage and winds blow, only the people who live in holiness will stand. Such people will be held by God and secured by his strength. A life characterized by consistent holiness will go through any challenge and come out unharmed at the other side.
God calls us to holiness so we can be free from the bondage, danger and consequences of sin. God also knows that a holy life paves the way for deep intimacy with Him (Psalm 15:1-2). Holiness sets us free and draws us close to God!
God is calling you today, he wants you to live a life of holiness. He wants you to be totally set free from the consequences of sin. Holiness will draw you close to God and make people glorify God in you. Holiness will make you a blessing to yourself, your family and the world. Moreover, holiness is very important if you want to see God.
Kindly share this post with your family and friends. Share the message of Christ. God bless you.